While antiviral medications like Tamiflu may help shorten the duration and severity of the flu if you start taking them as soon as you show symptoms, most of the time there’s nothing to do but treat the symptoms and wait for the flu to run its course.
Call your doctor if:
• You’ve had the flu for a few days and suddenly get noticeably worse. This can indicate a secondary infection requiring treatment.
• You run a fever for more than three days.
• A young child or elderly person shows any flu symptoms.
• Your symptoms include uncontrollable vomiting and an inability to keep liquids down.
• You wheeze when you breathe or have trouble breathing.
If you’re concerned about your flu symptoms, call us at (631) 377-3629 to make an appointment. Have questions about the flu? Post them here and we’ll answer as soon as we can.